Background

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Pancakes - a Comfort Food

Hi everyone,
I apologize for my lateness with the blog. A very dear friend of mine passed away this last Saturday and his funeral was today. With everything going on I must say that I forgot to prepare a post for today! Sorry!

As I looked through my pictures and recipes I tried to come up with something that was a comfort food. Soup is always something that comes to mind on these fall days, but with our un-seasonally warm weather here today it just didn’t seem right. So, I kept on in my search and came up with….pancakes. Not just any pancakes! Light, fluffy, and warm with real maple syrup or maybe some warmed blackberry syrup, and melted butter, mmm….yummy! 

I ran across this recipe and it has become a family favorite. I cook them in my Demarle 11” fry pan, one of my first investments and one I have NEVER regretted. It turns out perfectly browned, beautiful pancakes. You can also bake them in any of the Demalre molds or trays as well. My children’s favorite is the Teddy Bear tray but we may soon try out the Gold Fish tray or maybe the Little Chef tray. Whatever way you decide to cook them, I can assure you they are the BEST pancakes ever!

So…as the saying goes, don’t take my word for it, try it yourself!!

Buttermilk Pancakes
3 cups flour
2 TBLS sugar
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 egg yolks
3 1/3 cups buttermilk
6 TBLS butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla (or any other flavouring)
6 egg whites

Stir first 5 ingredients together. Beat egg yolks, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla together. Add to the dry ingredients. Fold egg whites in separate bowl until stiff BUT not dry. Fold into batter. Heat greased frying pan or griddle to medium-high heat until drops of water dance around on the surface. Spoon ¼ cup pancakes on to griddle or pan. Cook until bubbles appear on surface and edges are slightly brown. Flip over, and cook till lightly browned. Enjoy!!

Yield 4-6 servings (this recipes feeds my family of four and there are some leftover for the next mornings breakfast).

I always make a double batch and freeze what we don’t eat. Then pop them in the toaster (frozen, straight from the freezer) put peanut butter or jam or both, fold in half or use two to make a sandwich and you have a pancake breakfast to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment