Background

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Welcome Back!!!


I started this blog to offer you ideas of how you can utilize Demarle products, gather new recipes, and in general to INSPIRE you to USE YOUR KITCHEN! BUT...what I have found is that I became inspired to use my Demarle products, cook in my kitchen, and search for recipes to share with you! Who would have thought that my attempt to help you would actually help me!

Who am I?
So, for those of you who don’t know me, I’m Kelly, a homemaker, wife, and mother. In my “spare time” I serve my community as a City Councilor, volunteer at my children’s school and in my community, scrapbook, and in general enjoy being creative. My life is busy, hectic, and sometimes CRAZY!!  Even though I stay at home, I still struggle with figuring out “what’s for dinner” and making it from stove to table in 30-45 minutes. Also, I work with a VERY limited $ amount so… I have to cook food that is inexpensive but healthy. Currently my monthly food budget is $200.00. I find that the only way to stick with this budget is to plan what I will be making for dinner ahead of time. I do this on a monthly basis, but most people find that weekly or bi-weekly works best. I will include ideas and links on meal planning in a blog later this month.

I love being creative and trying new things. They do not always turn out the way I want them to, but I have learned that taking chances is usually a good thing. I will share with you my good recipes, as well as my ‘disasters’.

Who are my Food Critics?
My husband, although he claims to not be a picky eater, is indeed. He is also a super taster which complicates things even more. He does not like food with multiple ‘layers’ of taste, hates all varieties of squash, most root vegetables, and doesn’t eat salad, cabbage, or anything that even resembles mayonnaise! He loves steak, will eat chicken, salmon, or halibut. Cookies are one of his favorite food groups. Cakes and pies he can take or leave, and don’t get me started on frosting (his favorite)! So far in our 9 years of marriage I have been unsuccessful at making edible frosting. I usually resort to store bought or Cool Whip and sprinkles!

My son is also picky, although not quite as much as his Dad. His palate is still developing, he’s 6 ½ years old. He doesn’t like potatoes, in any form, dislikes most root vegetables, will occasionally eat salad, and thinks that ketchup is a food group of its own!

My daughter, 5 years old will try most anything! She LOVES clams, oysters, shrimp, crab, steak, chicken, pork, salmon, etc. She has her Daddy’s sweet tooth and like cookies, cakes, pies, etc. She is the least picky of my food critics.

I LOVE food! My favorite food is the baked potato, but I also love peaches, and chocolate cake. There aren’t too many things I won’t eat! That being said, I DO NOT like raw meat of any kind or things that are alive when I eat them, and I haven’t tried Sushi yet. I like to try new veggies and may not ‘love’ everyone of them, but there are very few I won’t eat. I am working on incorporating more raw vegetables and fruits into our diet, and work hard to make sure the meat that we eat is hormone free.
So, that’s me, my family and a few things about us. I hope that you find my blog helpful and it inspires you in your kitchen. Please feel free to email or message me with special requests, ideas, or questions that you may have.  Look forward to weekly blog posts on Wednesdays!!!

Disclaimer:I am not ‘Martha Stewart’, I have no formal training in culinary arts. My training has been ‘on the job’ and I work for the pickiest eaters in town.”

1 comment:

  1. I love your description of your family! Although it's been a real challenge for me to learn to cook on a smaller grocery budget, I am very blessed that I am probably the pickiest eater in my family. Everyone else is up for whatever I cook for them (but they apparently draw the line at eggplant lasagna, as did I!) I really don't know how you do it!

    I can't wait for more recipes and meal planning tips, as you inspire me daily with your cooking advice(even when I call frantically while in the middle of cooking!;) and your friendship!

    Sara :)

    ReplyDelete