Background

Friday, December 10, 2010

The Dinner Table


This post was suppose to have been about Sugar Cookies, BUT I haven't got around to making them yet!! Our plan is to make those tomorrow, as a family. I think it is important to do something as a Family Activity during the Holiday season. As the kids get older they are able to help more. So this year we will be making Sugar Cookies and filling out Christmas cards together!!

 Last night as I was setting our table it got me thinking about how important it is to our family that we eat dinner together. We turn off the tv, we don't answer the phone, and we have some sort of conversation. My husband works some evenings and we have all noticed that when he isn't there, our dinner isn't complete. My children have commented to me how much they miss Dad at dinner time and he has said how he misses dinners with us. It seems so simple, and sometimes we take it for granted but sharing a meal is a very powerful thing. Our meals are simple i.e. cheap, but we all remember the time we spend around the table. Even if it is fighting about eating green beans!! We all have our different jobs during the day, but at dinner we all have the same job, enjoy one anothers company!
Sharing a meal with my children is also an opportunity to teach life lessons; listening skills, sharing, empathy, and social skills, such as how to graciously say "no thank you". As I was preparing this post it also gave me the opportunity to think about the skills that I have had a chance to learn, and practice; patience, tolerance, grace, and love. When you really think about it, this is something we can't afford to miss out on! So, make sure you take the opportunity to share a meal with your family or friends, or both!!

The following recipe is one that my mom made when I was growing up. I have taken some liberties on it, but it is pretty much the same. It is a delicious and fast recipes that EVERYONE in my family LOVES!! So, it receives five *****stars from the Grassman's, which is no small feat!!! Enjoy!!

Grandma Linda's Baked Chicken
Serves 4
2 chicken breasts, butterflied
1 cup bread crumbs (or crushed corn flakes for gluten-free)
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt/pepper, to taste
1/2 cup melted butter
 Butterfly the chicken breast, mix bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Coat chicken breasts in crumb mixture, both sides. Use as much of the mixture as possible, you should use most of it. Put on flexipat or deep flexipat, drizzle with melted butter. Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 30 minutes.

Mashed Potatoes with Cauliflower
3 potatoes, peeled and cut up
2 cups cauliflower florets
Boil above in enough water to cover them. When potatoes are tender drain water, add 1/2 cup of milk or 1/2 and 1/2, 2 TBLS butter, and salt/pepper to taste. These make delicious mashed potatoes and you get two veggies in one!!

No comments:

Post a Comment