Background

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Potstickers

I actually didn't really know what these where but I found a couple of recipes (Thank you Pinterest:) and they looked pretty easy AND yummy. I took those recipes and mixed n' matched ingredients from each to get what I thought sounded good. The ingredients can be found at most stores and I had quite of few of them on hand. Also it looked like the kids could help make them and I always like food that is "hands on" for them. So...we tried them out! Here's what happened!

I made filling and then when the kids got home from school, Hailey helped assemble them. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of them after they were cooked because they literally lasted less than 5 seconds! Pretty yummy!
1 cup finely shredded napa cabbage
1/4 tsp. salt
1 lb. lean ground pork
1 TBLS. soy sauce (or Tamarind for GF)
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tsp. fresh, grated ginger
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. sesame oil

1 pkg. wonton or gyoza wrappers(thawed, if frozen)

I used my Demarle at Home Chef Knife to finely shred the cabbage. Put it in the stainless steel mixing bowl and tossed with the salt. Let that set for 5-10 minutes (I prepped the rest of the ingredients and mixed them). Then pick up with your hand and SQUEEZE out the liquid. There was about 1 1/2 TBLS of liquid. Then add it to the rest of the ingredients and mix. I added about another 1/2 cup of cabbage and it didn't change the recipe at all.

Then I used the 1 tsp measuring spoon ( from the Demarle set) and put it in the middle of the wonton wrapper. Then dip one finger in water and moisten the edge of the wrapper. It only take the amount of water that is on your finger, be careful not to use too much:) Fold over to create a half moon shape and voila! Then press the edges tightly to seal. Place on the silpat and cover with a tea towel to keep from drying out. You can also put them in the refrigerator at this point for 24 hours or freeze for later use.



Otherwise, do what I did and put a drizzle of canola oil in the 12" Demarle at Home Stainless Steel fry pan over medium high heat. Put the dumplings in but make sure they are not touching, cook for a minute or two, until deep, golden brown on the bottom, shake the pan so that they don't stick (it also makes you look like you know what your doing:)
I flipped them using the Polyamide spatula and brown the same on the other side, then pour about 1/8 of a cup of chicken broth or water into the pan (be prepared with your lid). Cover, and reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes, basically you are steaming them and cooking them all the way through.

They are SO good! I think they would be good with a veggie stir fry or even just some steamed veggies! Please leave comments on how you enjoy these yummy dumplings!

No comments:

Post a Comment